My mom called me back, concerned. "Is everything ok?" she asked. "What's wrong?" I had called her four times in a row. I explained the situation, and she grew agitated. "Get back there right now!" she exclaimed. "Hurry!"
You see, I had found a pair of unworn Tory Burch Reva flats (MSRP $195) for $29.95 at Beacon's Closet, but they were just a little too small. I had called to ask if they stretch, and then left the store without them, proud of myself for sticking to my new-ish "don't buy it if it isn't perfect" standard. Mom informed me that this was stupid. I'm now wearing the flats with ski socks around the house, which is a really great look.
Mom had good reason to yell. My biggest shopping blunder happened in 2007, when I found a probably-genuine Louis Vuitton Damier-print Speedy 25 handbag (MSRP $855) at Beacon's Closet for $25, and left it there because the handles were falling off. My mom held her head in her hands when I told her this and quietly asked, "what do you think cobblers are for??"
Having learned from this disastrous decision, I've since overridden my fears and purchased a slightly-too-short vintage Diane von Furstenburg silk shirt dress for $40 (gorgeous, but can only be worn at the tail end of a diet, or with seriously opaque tights), and now these shoes, which make me look like a rich lady with a slight limp.
I should learn how to sell things on eBay.

No comments:
Post a Comment